Tooth Extractions | Rochester Hills & Shelby Township
While our number-one approach will always emphasize preventative and restorative care, tooth extractions are a reality of dental care.
Sometimes the best option for your overall oral health is tooth extraction. Luckily, Barclay Dental is well-equipped to make extractions quicker and more painless than you might imagine.
What Is a Tooth Extraction?
Tooth extraction is a dental procedure that involves the removal of a tooth from its socket in the jawbone.
At Barclay Dental, we understand that tooth extraction may seem daunting, but rest assured, our skilled dentists, Dr. Meri and Dr. Salem, are experienced in providing comfortable and efficient extractions when necessary.
When Are Tooth Extractions Necessary?
Extraction will always be the last option, and we can usually prevent the problems that lead to extraction — while often saving any teeth in danger of requiring extraction.
Here are some signs that an extraction might be the right move:
- Severe discomfort in your tooth or jaw: Pain in this area may indicate a dental abscess or severe infection.
- Pain while biting down or chewing: Discomfort that prevents basic oral functions like biting and chewing could be a sign of a cavity or infection.
- Pus or bleeding: If you notice these signs, schedule an appointment with our Rochester Hills office at (248) 844-1036 or our Shelby Township office at (586) 731-3950 right away.
How Tooth Extractions Work
At Barclay Dental, we understand that tooth extraction may be necessary for various reasons, such as severe decay, advanced gum disease, impacted wisdom teeth, or orthodontic treatment.
Our priority is to ensure your comfort and provide compassionate care throughout the extraction process. Dr. Meri and Dr. Salem will thoroughly explain the procedure, answer any questions you may have, and discuss suitable tooth replacement options, such as dental implants or bridges, to restore your smile’s function and appearance.
In general, a tooth extraction involves the following steps:
1. Examination and Evaluation: Before proceeding with an extraction, our dentists will carefully examine your tooth and take X-rays to evaluate its condition and position. This evaluation helps determine the most appropriate approach for the extraction.
2. Anesthesia and Conscious Sedation: To ensure your comfort throughout the procedure, our team will administer a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth. We also offer nitrous oxide to help ease any anxiety or discomfort you may feel during the extraction.
3. Tooth Removal: Once the area is numb, Dr. Meri or Dr. Salem will use specialized instruments to gently loosen the tooth from its socket. In some cases, a small incision may be made in the gum tissue to aid in the extraction. We employ precise techniques to minimize trauma and ensure a smooth extraction process.
4. Aftercare and Recovery: After your tooth is removed, a gauze pad is placed on the extraction site to control bleeding. Our expert, compassionate team will provide you with detailed aftercare instructions to promote healing and minimize discomfort. It's crucial to follow these instructions carefully to facilitate a speedy recovery.
How Can a Tooth Extraction Help You?
Tooth extraction, though sometimes necessary, may seem like a daunting prospect. However, at Barclay Dental, we want to assure you that there are several benefits to this procedure that can improve your oral health and overall well-being.
Relieving Pain & Discomfort
Extracting a severely decayed or damaged tooth can provide immediate relief from persistent toothaches and discomfort. By removing the source of the pain, you can enjoy a significant improvement in your quality of life.
Preventing Infection & Further
Infected teeth can lead to the spread of bacteria, causing more extensive dental problems.
By extracting the affected tooth, we can prevent the infection from spreading to neighboring teeth, gums, or even the jawbone. This helps safeguard your oral health and prevents the need for more complex treatments in the future.
Creating Space for Orthodontic Treatment
In cases where teeth are crowded or misaligned, extracting a tooth can create space to properly align the remaining teeth. This is especially important in orthodontic treatments, such as braces or aligners, where achieving a straight and harmonious smile is the goal.
Resolving Impacted Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, often lack sufficient space to fully erupt, leading to impaction. Extracting impacted wisdom teeth can prevent complications such as pain, infection, crowding, and damage to adjacent teeth.
Improving Your Overall Oral Health
By removing a severely damaged or infected tooth, you contribute to the overall health and balance of your oral cavity. This promotes better oral hygiene practices, reduces the risk of future dental issues, and allows for easier maintenance of oral health.
Talk to Us About Tooth Extractions
If you believe you may benefit from a tooth extraction or have concerns about a specific tooth, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with our knowledgeable team.
Our experienced dentists, Dr. Meri and Dr. Salem, will guide you through the procedure, answer your questions, and ensure your comfort every step of the way. We also offer various tooth replacement options, such as dental implants, bridges, or dentures, to restore your smile's functionality and aesthetics after an extraction.
Together, we’ll develop a tailored treatment plan that aligns with your oral health goals, ensuring a healthy and confident smile for years to come. Contact Barclay Dental today to book your appointment.